VTL S 200 Signature Stereo
Condition: Ex Display
VTL's legendary Signature series has long been valued by music lovers who seek outstanding sound at a fair price. The new S-200 takes that proposition to a new level by including VTL's latest technology in a space saving single chassis design. All the features and functionality of the renowned MB-450 and MB-185 Series III Signature monoblocks are built in, but in a package costing significantly less. With top quality parts, a fully balanced design, and innovative engineering, the S200 offers a listening experience unparalleled at this price.
This 200 watts/channel stereo amplifier is packed with technology VTL has spent years developing. A fully balanced differential input stage drives a differential phase splitter and a lower impedance push-pull output stage with a custom made, fully balanced, interleaved and coupled output transformer. Like its stable mates, the amplifier incorporates VTL's SmartTube technology with automatic bias adjustment and fault sensing, making this amplifier especially welcome to music lovers who value ease of use. With the S-200, thereäó»s no need to guess when or if a tube may need to be replaced.
To keep the output tube operating point constant and stabilize the critical power supplies, even under AC and main power supply fluctuations, the S-200 deploys adjustable precision-regulated bias and screen supplies, yielding tonal stability and sonic integrity especially during complex, dynamic signal conditions.
The S-200 also features a user adjustable Damping Factor feedback control that allows the user to adjust the amplifieräó»s output impedance by varying the amount of negative feedback. Impedance can now be precisely set to suit the listeneräó»s taste, and to improve control of the loudspeaker loads to deliver best performance.
The 3 possible settings are:
- LOW Lowest damping factor, good loudspeaker control, most natural sound.
- MED Better loudspeaker control, with some impact on sound quality
- HI Best loudspeaker control, with a little more impact on sound quality, but on speakers that need the control the sonic improvement is clear
The S-200 bears a similar sonic signature to its bigger brother, the MB-450 Series III Signature monoblocks. The mid bass authority and control is excellent while the midrange and top end reflect natural timbres and instrument colors effortlessly. The amplifier's agility and speed, its very low noise floor, and its ability to drive a wide range of speakers are distinct features that few other tube amplifiers in this price category can offer. Pair it with VTL's TL5.5 Series II preamplifier for one of the most compelling and seductive sounds available anywhere close to the price.
- Fully balanced differential circuit even single-ended signal produces balanced signal at output
- Fully balanced differential input and driver stages for increased signal swing, bandwidth and stability
- Zero global Negative Feedback
- Shorter, faster feedback loop for greater tonal control without phase shift
- Superior handling of loudspeaker loads for greater signal stability
- The amplifier is unconditionally stable, without the need for capacitor compensation
- Tube-like JFET type current source maintains sonic integrity in single-ended mode
- Lower impedance output stage for improved loudspeaker control
- Proprietary designed interleaving and coupling in the balanced VTL Signature output transformer, for wider bandwidth and zero ringing
- Variable user-adjustable DF feedback control to vary output impedance and damping factor for optimal matching to speaker load
- Software microprocessor controlled
- Tetrode/Triode Switchable
- Auto Bias, Fault Sensing
- Current in-rush limiting
- Standby Mute function; with reduced tube current for increased tube life
- 200 watts per channel in tetrode; 100 watts per channel in triode
- Uses eight 6550 or KT-88 tubes
- Adjustable regulated screen supply for stable operating point; discrete regulated input and driver supply for greater signal resolution and tonality
- Adjustable precision-regulated bias supply for greater signal resolution and noise rejection and improved isolation from mains supply variations; output operating point does not change with AC power fluctuations
- Autobias and fault sensing system to operate in fully balanced differential mode; amplifier is fully protected against output tube failure; no need for precision matching of output tubes
- Film bypass of power supply caps for greater HF resolution
- Extruded aluminum front panel with luxurious, modern look äóñ black and silver options available
- Rack mountable
- Rigid construction and improved ventilation for lower operating temperature
|Vacuum Tube Complement||8 x 6550 or KT-88, 2 x 12AT7, 2 x 12BH7|
20Hz äóñ 20kHz <2.5% THD
|Tetrode: 200W, Triode: 100W
into 5‘© load
|Input sensitivity||Variable between 700mV and 1.6V, depending upon DF setting|
|Optimum load range||4‘© äóñ 8‘©|
|S/N Ratio||-110dB, 120 Hz|
|Power consumption||Idle = 330W, Full power = 1000W|
|Primary mains fuse ratings||100/120V = 15A Ceramic Slo Blo, 220/240V = 8A Ceramic Slo Blo|
|Input fuse ratings||100/120V = 1A Ceramic Slo Blo, 220/240V = 1A Ceramic Slo Blo|
|Logic fuse||100/120V = 1A Ceramic Slo Blo, 220/240V = 1A Ceramic Slo Blo|
|B+ fuse ratings||Plate Fuse äóñ 1.0A fast acting 600V|
|Dimensions W x D x H||18.5 x 18 x 9 inches (47 x 45.7 x 23 cm)|
|Weight||105lbs (47.6Kg) unpacked, 120lbs (54Kg) packed|